Municipality of Alcobaça – Leiria - Portugal Alcobaça is located in Centre of Portugal, more specifically, in West region, being very close to Atlantic coast. Its location is privileged once it’s situated about 100 km far away from Lisbon. It’s the second larger county of Leiria’s district, in terms of population (about 56.000 inhabitants). Despite Alcobaça not being the most economical and urban pole of the Centre region, it’s getting more importance like a pole sub-regional, due to its great and central location. It’s remarkable the increase of population and a certain tendency for economical and tourism investment. The most relevant sectors of employment and business are ceramics; agriculture (apple culture); glass factories (crystal); animal raise; plastic, leather, knives and shoes factories.
- Identification and dissemination of good practices currently underway, both at national and European levels.
- Raising society’s level of knowledge on third sector potential in job creation context.
- Developing a new model of Social Economy, including definition of its role and tasks in the field of regeneration of deprived areas, by exploiting the experience of other Member States.
- Developing effective mechanisms in order to support people moving from the second labour market to the first one, e. g. testing support methods for the establishment of social co-operatives.
- Developing a platform of co-operation and understanding among the actors of the Social Economy, through the development of partnerships and the creation of new activity models.
Related Good Practices