Join the International Urban Cooperation (IUC) city-to-city cooperation programme!
Cities in the member states of the European Union who wish to exchange with a city facing similar challenges in another global region are encouraged to apply for the International Urban Cooperation (IUC) city-to-city cooperation programme on sustainable urban development.
The programme aims to foster links between EU cities (in particular those with more than 50,000 inhabitants) and those in Latin America and the Caribbean, India, Japan, North America, and Asia. Through the programme, local leaders will be able to connect and gain new perspectives on pressing sustainable development issues.
Submissions from EU cities to apply for pairings with cities in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, India, Japan, Mexico, Peru, and the USA (China was already included in a previous call) are now open until 21 September 2017.
Successful candidates will be paired with an international city that faces related challenges, allowing both parties to cooperate, build connections and share knowledge. Representatives from each city will take part in study tours, staff exchanges, trainings and seminars, etc. and will develop together a Local Action Plan to drive sustainable urban development in the selected area.
By joining the IUC city-to-city cooperation, your city will:
- COMMIT – Cooperate for at least 18 months with your international peers, allocate resources and time to develop a successful cooperation which will last beyond the lifetime of this programme
- LEARN – Get access to new ways of approaching challenges and benefit from a wider pool of good practices to draw upon; receive support in identifying innovative business models for financing local action
- SHARE – Help others to solve issues by sharing your own experiences and relaying knowledge
- EXCHANGE – Open your city to dialogue and partnership with new global peers, and relevant stakeholders (public and private)
- SHOWCASE – Profile your best practices and achievements internationally
- IMPLEMENT – Work with new partners to make your vision of sustainable urban development a reality through developing a Local Action Plan for sustainable urban development in a sector of your choice
Local leaders can apply to take part in the programme until 21 September 2017, through filling in this application form.
Submitted by URBACT on