URBACT networks are approved through competitive calls for proposals. For 2014-2020, different calls for proposals for the 3 types of networks will be launched.
Transnational exchange and learning networks are one of the core strands of activities of the URBACT programme. They aim to support European cities with the design and implementation of sustainable integrated urban policies. Depending on their local situation and needs, cities may join URBACT by taking part in 3 different types of networks:
- Action-planning Networks: supporting cities in addressing a policy challenge by producing an integrated action-plan
- Implementation Networks: supporting cities with the delivery of an existing integrated urban strategy/ action-plan
- Transfer Networks: supporting cities in adapting and re-using a good practice to enhance their urban policies
Calls for proposals will be launched for these 3 types of networks.
The following calls have taken place and are now closed:
- March 2015: call for the creation of up to 20 Action-Planning Networks (20 Action-planning Networks continue through Phase 2!)
- March 2016: call for the creation of up to 15 Implementation Networks (Implementation Networks pass to Phase 2!)
- December 2016: call for Good Practices (URBACT’s Good Practices unveiled: “Inspiring solutions for better cities”)
2018: call for the creation of Action-Planning Networks
Call for the creation of up to 25 Transfer Networks is open!
The URBACT Transfer Networks are exchange and learning tools for cities. They target cities that are:
1. Interested in transferring one of the 97 labelled URBACT Good Practices as ‘Transfer Cities’:
- To tackle a specific policy challenge with an integrated and sustainable solution
- To adapt and re-use a tested and effective practice in their own city context
2. Awarded the URBACT Good Practice label as ‘Good Practice Cities’:
- To lead and mentor the process of understanding, adapting and reusing their Good Practice
- To refine and improve their own methodology through peer reviews and with the support of URBACT experts.
Proposals for the Transfer Network can be submitted only by 97 URBACT Good Practice Cities already selected in the Call for Good Practices (June 2017) as future Lead Partners of Transfer Networks.
Cities interested in transferring the Good Practice to their local context as 'Transfer Cities' should first visit the website with all 97 awarded URBACT Good Practices and check if any of 97 Good Practices correspond to their needs.
For more information, please consult the Guide to Transfer Networks that introduces potential partners to the URBACT Transfer Networks. It provides better understanding of what city can expect by joining an URBACT Transfer Network (either as 'Transfer City' or 'Good Practice City') and clarifies the expected commitments and contributions.
How to apply?
- Please read carefully the Terms of Reference for the call for Transfer Networks as well as the Guide to Transfer Networks which set out the main features and requirements of the call.
- If you are interested in transferring the Good Practice as a 'Transfer City', please contact the URBACT Good Practice City to express your interest in transferring the practice to your local context. All contacts are available on the URBACT Good Practices website.
- If you are a Good Practice City and ready to submit the proposal for Transfer Network please send the request via email: TN@urbact.eu. The URBACT Joint Secretariat will take care of opening the online application form in SYNERGIE-CTE for you.
Previous experience shows that the creation of partnerships takes place in the very beginning of the calls therefore candidate cities should get in contact with Good Practice Cities as soon as possible.
The deadline for the online submission of the Phase 1 Applications is 10 January 2018, 15.00 CET.
Experts for Transfer Networks
All Transfer Network proposals will need to include and propose three experts from the online database of validated URBACT Experts for supporting Transfer Networks in Phase 1.
The URBACT III Pool of validated experts is available HERE.
If you are an expert interested in supporting the Transfer Network and not yet a validated URBACT expert, please check the Call for Applicants for the pool of URBACT Experts which is open on a permanent basis.
Useful materials and documents
- Terms of Reference – Call for proposal for the creation of up to 25 Transfer Networks
- Guide to Transfer Networks – Phase 1
- URBACT III - Operational Programme (approved 12.12.14)
- URBACT III Programme Manual, and more especially:
- URBACT III Programme Manual - Factsheet 1 - The URBACT Programme (for information on the Programme objectives, strategy and main thematic objectives covered)
- URBACT III Programe Manual - Factsheet 2C - Transfer Networks (for general information on Transfer Networks)
- URBACT III Programme Manual - Factsheet 2D - Network Creation (for information on the procedure for network creation, including eligibility and assessment criteria)
- URBACT III Programme Manual -Factsheet 2E - Network Management (for information on roles and responsibilities of Lead Partner and partners for project management)
- URBACT III Programme Manual - Fact Sheet 2F - Financial Management and Control (for information on eligible costs, accounting, certification of expenditure, audits)
- URBACT LSG Toolkit (produced for networks under URBACT II, it is still highly relevant for future Transfer Networks)
- If you want to learn more about different Good Practice transfer experiences, please check the article: Two cities united by a love of good food
Events in relation to the call for Transfer Networks
All upcoming events related to the call for Transfer Networks will be regularly updated.
- The URBACT City Festival of 3-5 October 2017 in Tallinn will be an important networking and match-making event for cities willing to get to know the URBACT Good Practices and find partners to apply to the Call for Transfer Networks.
Cities that are not able to participate in the City Festival have the possibility to participate in:
- European Week of Regions and Cities 10 October 2017: URBACT workshop 10C48 "How can good city practices be transferred? Join the new URBACT Transfer Networks!". Deadline for registration: 29 September 2017. More information on: http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/regions-and-cities/2017/register.cfm
- National infodays organised by National URBACT Points from September to November 2017 (see list below organised alphabetically):
- Belgium, Brussels: 28/09/2017
To register, click HERE (French version) or HERE (Dutch version)
For more information, contact Zoé Lejeune and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-en-belgique, http://urbact.eu/urbact-belgie and @URBACT_BE
*02-03/11/2017, Tartu (in the framework of the Annual Conference for Estonian Urban Planners)
For more information, contact Kadri Leetmaa and Anika Vaiko and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-eesti and @URBACT_EE
- France-Luxembourg, Paris: 23/10/2017
For more information, click HERE
You can contact Sabrina Abdi and Delphine Gaudart and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-en-france-et-luxembourg and @URBACT_FR_LUX
- Greece-Cyprus, Drama, Hydrama Grand Hotel, Αγίας Βαρβάρας 11: 16/10/2017
To register, click HERE
For more information, contact Maria Papoutsi and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-in-greece-cyprus and @URBACT_GR_CY
- Italy, Bari: 21-23/09/2017 (in the framework of the Italian URBACT Good Practice Festival)
To register, click HERE
For more information, contact Simone D’Antonio and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-italia and @URBACT_IT
- Netherlands (location to be confirmed): 08/10/2017 or 30/10/2017
For more information, contact Nadia Petkova, Suzanne Bleijenberg and keep checking at http://urbact.eu/urbact-nederland and @URBACT_NL
*20/09/2017, Łódź. Afternoon session on Good Practices & Transfer Networks during the conference "The role of the urban areas in the Cohesion Policy post 2020 - local event of the European Week of Regions and Cities"
*16-18/10/2017, Kraków. Information on the Transfer Networks call during the Kongres Miast Polskich
*25-26/10/2017, Wrocałw. Presentation on the Transfer Networks call and on URBACT results during the Architecture Festival
*8-9/11/2017, Warszawa. Presentation on the Transfer Networks call during the UNEP Grid
*13/11/2017, Gdańsk. Information on the Transfer Networks call during Smart Metropolia Gdańsk & participation in debates
*14/11/2017, Warszawa. Presentation on the Transfer Networks call during the H2020 InfoDay
*21-22/11/2017, Katowice. Presentation on the Transfer Networks call during the Miasto 2017
*23 or 24/11/2017 (to be confirmed), Krakow
*24/10/2017, Barcelona Provincial Council. More information to come soon.
To register, click HERE
*Infoday for the Basque Country. More information to come soon.
For specific questions related to the open call for Transfer Networks, please contact: TN@urbact.eu
For general questions regarding URBACT Networks, please contact Kristijan Radojcic, Networking Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org