The competitiveness of small European cities in the future industrialisation
iPlace is present at the EU Industry Week 2021 to discuss “The competitiveness of small European cities in the future industrialisation”
The conference takes place on February the 23rd at 15:00 (CET), on Zoom with streaming for social media, and will join businesses showcased from selected small cities to discuss the competitiveness of small European cities in the future industrialisation of European local economies.
The URBACT Action Planning network – iPlace - will be present at the EU Industry Week 2021, with a conference that has the intention to answer questions such as:
- What are the advantages for small cities compared to large cities to attract talent and investment, specifically related to cost of doing business, the cost of living and the quality of life?
- How do the nexus of people, place and technology in small cities create a seedbed for business development in digital and green technologies?
- How will Covid19 change perceptions of small cities as places for work and living?
To reflect on these questions, businesses showcased from different European countries and distinct sectors, Amarante (PT), Gabrovo (BG), Heerlen (NL) and Pärnu (EE) with give their insights:
- The Manager of Trimtex, Maiu Antsmaa (Pärnu);
- Co-Founder of Mechatronica, Nikolinka Hinkova (Gabrovo);
- Founder of Arion International, Erik Joosten (Heerlen);
- Founder of Casa Diff, Daniel Lopes (Amarante).
This conference aims to show that local economies of small cities can be agile and competitive in challenging global circumstances notwithstanding a bias and focus on economic development in big cities. General knowledge of the economic process of small cities is very limited. There is a need to present case studies of economic activity in small cities that demonstrate their ability to attract talent and investment; to innovate and specifically to showcase some of the great businesses in these cities and industrial heritage.
Showing how the goals of digital and green transition can be part of our local economic is an important topic to the conference that will happens under the EU Industry Week 2021, the 4th edition of annual event on industry, that serves as the main platform to discuss industrial challenges and co-develop opportunities and policy responses in an inclusive dialogue with a wide range of partners. EU Industry Week 2021 will take place as a virtual event from 23 - 26 February.
Introduction & Welcome - Tiago Ferreira (Project Leader, Lead Partner of iPlace project) and
Wessel Badenhorst (URBACT, Lead Expert of iPlace Project).
- Manager of Trimtex, Maiu Antsmaa, Pärnu;
- Co- Founder of Mechatronica, Nikolinka Hinkova, Gabrovo;
- Founder of Arion International, Erik Joosten, Heerlen;
- Founder of Casa Diff, Daniel Lopes, Amarante.
Panel Discussion with all cities of iPlace
Moderation by Tiago Ferreira (Project Leader, Lead Partner of iPlace project) and Wessel Badenhorst (URBACT, Lead Expert of iPlace Project).