The opportunities and challenges identified in section 3.5.5 of the project's baseline study link well into the Nord-Pas-de- Calais Regional Operational Programme (2007-13). The programme outlines the current low level of private R&D expenditure, together with insufficient entrepreneurial spirit and lack of knowledge intensive jobs. As a result it aims to boost regional clusters and constituting academic poles of excellence and to create innovative enterprises (cluster based incubators).
Dunkirk’s local support group has been established to deliver the RunUP project in Dunkirk. The members are from :
- The Greater Dunkirk Council
- The University (ULCO)
- The Nord-Pas de Calais region
- The economic development agency ()
- Chamber of commerce (CCI)
The local meetings were chaired by an elected representative. Most of the time, it was the vice-president in charge of economic development and sometimes the vice-president in charge of research and higher education.
/psion>/psion>>/>/psion>>/>>/>>/>Many initiatives, conferences and meetings have also been put up with quite significant issues for the URBACT RUnUP program :
- 19th October 2009 : “Innovation Forum”, conference held in Dunkirk, with the university, students, researchers, firms, and including a stand where the URBACT RUnUP was presented.
- 5th November 2009 : presentation of the territory’s local action plan to the elected representatives of the Greater Dunkirk Council
- 20th November 2009 : official launching of the local action plan. The presentation included the forthcoming building in Dunkirk of the Central Lab of the Institute of Research in Industrial Environment (program financed by the Greater Dunkirk Council, the Region and ERDF). This project is the junction point between the industrial world, the territory and the university.
- 21st and 22nd January 2010 : Annual Forum for Innovation and Creation on the Littoral ()
- 8th June 2010 : official launching of the “tutored projects“ disposal
- 18th October 2010 : ULSG and Dr. WINTER’s masterclass
- 19th November 2010, about IRENI, tutored projects, equipment and opening of the Campus of Entrepreneurship.
- 21st December 2010 : meeting with all the University’s sites, in order to rationalise the university’s building and rehabilitation programmes
- 14th January 2011 :official launching of IRENI’s project management group
- 22nd March : second “Forum of Innovation”
- 8th April 2011 : opening of the “Entrepôt des Tabacs” building, including the enterprise hub
The Dunkirk ULSG has made a specific effort in the field of entrepreneurship : it has been consulted about the recruitment of an entrepreneurship project manager as well as the appointment of the selected candidate.
Moreover, the ULSG has focused on research in the industrial environment, setting up a management group in charge of the “IRENI” building program including researchers in environment and local political figures.