Government Of Mazovia Region
Links between Urban Regeneration and Spatial Planning
Spatial planning policies at all levels mostly refer directly or indirectly to the regeneration issues.
At national level the Concept of National Spatial Development has to do with issues which range more than one region and concern also some topics that somehow refer to the regeneration of space. For example, this document indicates main directions of spatial development through defining:
- protection requirements of environment and historic heritage,
- location, construction or modernization of transport system and technical and social infrastructure,
- "problematic areas" which need special attention – it means elaborating of proper analyses and/or plans of development.
Also regional Spatial Development Plan refers to the regeneration issues. As it was mentioned before it is legally binding to indicate in this documents location of regional roads and shape of other infrastructure networks, protected areas (ex. important from cultural or historical point of view) or so called "problematic areas" (ex. degraded areas). That is why Spatial Development Plan formulates directions of spatial development such as:
- Supporting the development of selected settlement centres,
- Development of infrastructure and transport systems,
- Improvement of natural environment,
- Protection and using of cultural values,
- The policy of preventing excessive developmental disparity.
Planning law ordered that both documents at local level should concern regeneration issues. In Study of The Conditions and Directions for the Spatial Development areas which need modernization, regeneration or reclamation have to be indicate and proper planning policy also should be formulate.
Land Use Development Plan have to define requirements of:
- protection of cultural and historical heritage,
- modernization or/and construction of infrastructure and transport systems.
If necessary, it also can define areas which need:
- regeneration of infrastructure or/and housing,
- modernization or reclamation.