The development of the historical town centre in the last years is characterized through:
- decreasing population of inhabitants in the historical town centre,
- slowdown of investment especially in historic building stock,
- risk of increasing problems with spatial inequalities between neighbours and social inequalities between different groups in some areas,
- regression of trade and business,
- risk of formation a negative image of historical town centre,
- multitude of public, private measures and joint initiatives without adequate coordination and success.
The administration of Schwäbisch Gmünd is owing to the legal requirement an important actor in the development of the historical town centre. The administration of Schwäbisch Gmünd expect the exchange of experiences and development of an innovative methodology of intervention in the historical centre closer to the needs of all actors in the city, by attention to environmental sustainability and aimed to maintain an attractive and competitiveness historical town centre.