Climate change and its impacts are a common denominator of many challenges cities are facing today. There are no simple solutions to these issues, while city budgets and staff capacities are limited. In other words, cities often need to do more with less.
Seeing this as an opportunity rather than a problem, I am here to help cities to take a hard look and identify the key issues, objectives and directions towards sustainability. Leveraging the local knowledge and expertise is the point of departure, as each city is unique and there is no copy-paste model that will bring solutions overnight.
I have spent the last decade focusing on how cities around the world "do climate resilience"; from urban communes in Chile to the City of San Francisco, Barcelona or Prague. I have focused above all on the areas of climate change adaptation and sustainable mobility. I am happy to share this knowledge and simultaneously gain more of it as I work with the member cities.
What I offer:
8 years of experience in engagement with city officials
- Analysing current practices with professionals dedicated to climate adaptation, circular economy, urban mobility, crisis management, public health and innovation in cities across Europe, North America and Latin America.
- Leading a pilot study of city resilience for the Institute of Planning and Development of the City of Prague.
- Research and public outreach program focused on sustainable mobility in cities (SUMP, multi-modality, integration, public space, shared mobility, electric vehicles, etc.).
8 years of experience in project management
- Including communication and project deliverables. This includes programs on the levels of universities, research institutes, philanthropic organizations, NGOs and think-tanks.
- Securing Cities: Vulnerability, Resilience and Politics. Funded by the Grant Agency of Charles University, 2015-2019.
- Decarbonization of transport: pathways towards sustainable urban mobility. EUROPEUM Institute, 2021-2023.
3 years of experience in direct consultations for public sector
- Ministry of Regional Development, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Regional Innovation Centre, Institute of Planning and Development - City level.
10 years of experience in field and desk research and publications. Selected examples:
- SUMP it up: Prague moving towards sustainable urban mobility. EUROPEUM policy paper, March 2023.
- Cities for all: Gender equality perspective. URBACT series article, December 2022 (in CZ).
- Resilience and Urban Governance: Securing Cities. New York: Routledge, 2021.
- Horizon 2021-2027: Driving force of innovation in Europe. EUROPEUM policy paper series, May 2021.
- Making a ‘Resilient Santiago’: Private Sector and Urban Governance in Chile. Czech Sociological Review, 54:6, 2018.
10 years of experience teaching university courses for students and professionals
- City-focused module for Master level students and professionals at Charles University discussing vulnerability and resilience of cities. Emphasis on the existing practices applied in cities across the world (from urban gentrification to climate change and natural disasters affecting cities).
5 years of experience delivering guest lectures, facilitating workshops and roundtables
Please reach out if you have any questions. I am looking forward to working with you!
Expert can perform the Lead expert role and Ad hoc expertise missions at network and programme level in relation to:
- The design and delivery of (transnational) exchange and learning activities
- Thematic expertise:
> Climate Adaptation
- Methods and tools for integrated and participatory approaches:
> Integrated and participatory design of strategies